Data held by the Learning Management System (LMS)
Age of Montessori uses Moodle software for our Learning Management System (LMS) which is professionally hosted at www.training-ageofmontessori.org
Data held by Moodle includes your name, email address, username, city, country and your course information.
Moodle logs contain detailed information about user activity within each course, including the date and time of when course-specific information was viewed and/or updated, the address of the machine from which the access was made, the browser identification information and information about the referring web page. Logs are used to create summary statistics.
Information about contributions to courses, including contributions to chat rooms and discussion forums, ownership of resources, assignment/file submissions, text matching scores and evidence of participation in other Moodle-based activities is held within the Moodle system.
Information and data related to users, including grades, feedback comments, scores, completion data, access rights and group membership is also recorded.
Additional personal data may be held within individual courses, either within documents/resources uploaded to the course, or within activities within the course.
How the LMS uses your personal information
Moodle records and uses your personal information to:
- Provide you an account on, and identify you within the Moodle system
- Provide you access to courses/sites within Moodle
- Provide you the ability to upload, amend and delete certain information within Moodle
- Provide you access to the information, resources and activities uploaded to Moodle
- Control access to different parts of the system.
- Help support Moodle users
- For system administration and bug tracking
- Report on course, resource and activity access, activity completion, course completion and course data (such as grades, scores, submissions and content uploaded)
- For producing usage statistics for management and planning purposes
Individual courses within Moodle may collect additional personal information in order to:
- Provide services to the users
- Facilitate and support business processes
- Support users in their use of Moodle
A non-exhausted list of examples of this may include:
- User feedback
- Data collection for the purposes of business processes
- Contact information
Where LMS information comes from
For all users, Moodle records information supplied by the user. This includes information entered into your profile (such as telephone numbers, addresses and program or course related information.
As well as the information that you upload and submit to Moodle, Moodle also contains additional information. Additional information maybe uploaded onto individual courses by users of the system.
Who has access to LMS data
Access to personal data held by the Moodle system is restricted to administrators, program directors and faculty. They have access to the personal information of the users of that program or course including the Moodle logs.
Where LMS information is shared
Age of Montessori may share your personal information with federal and state accreditation authorities as required. Age of Montessori guarantees confidentiality and access to student records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
LMS data retention
Information and data uploaded to Moodle, including accounts, courses and about contributions to courses, including contributions to chat rooms and discussion forums, ownership of resources and evidence of participation in other Moodle-based activities may be retained indefinitely.
Moodle data is backed up periodically. The backups are held for the purpose of reinstatement of the data, e.g. in the event of failure of a system component.
How the LMS Helpdesk uses your information
If you approach Tech Support for help with a fault, issue, question or support, Moodle support staff will need to look at your data held on the system, including files in your personal areas and the Moodle courses to which you belong. We may need to perform any of the following:
- In the process of providing support, answering your helpdesk question, reproducing/investigating your issue/problem or when forming a response, the Moodle helpdesk may navigate and interact with Moodle using your account. To do this we may use a feature know as ‘login-as’ which allows the helpdesk to take control of your account. The helpdesk does not add, edit or delete any data within Moodle when doing this, without your prior permission. We will never ask you to send your password to us as part of any support that we provide.
- The helpdesk, when providing support to your query, may also duplicate your course or data and transfer it into another part of the system or one of our test systems. This is to allow us to carry out investigations, test solutions and provide you with support.
- When providing support, the help desk never gives out your personal information, including usernames and passwords.
Subject access requests
Under data protection legislation an individual has the right to access the information that an organization holds about them. Accessing personal data in this way is known as making a subject access request.
You are entitled:
- to be informed how your personal data is being processed
- to be sent a copy of your personal data (subject to any applicable exemptions and the removal of other people’s personal data as appropriate)
- to be sent certain information about your personal data
Your subject access request may be submitted by email to: [email protected]